Life Advice

Life Advice

Monday, May 9, 2016

Job Posting

Background Information 

The employer I will be researching is Omnibyte. They offer an internship in Fargo, so I thought it would be the perfect candidate for blog 8. Omnibyte services are encompassed in commercial assistance apps. The apps are promised to be more adaptive and progressive than any other app development company. The company wishes to automate software from machine to software, software to software, or software to human through apps. Meaning, the software/machinery will update through an app when issues arise. Alerting employees when a failure is imminent or occurring. Omnibyte designs apps for construction, equipment, electrical, plumbing, energy saving, and many other types companies. They provide assistance in the form of business analysis, software modification, data migration, application upgrades, and integration. The company is solely located in Fargo making it locally owned. 

Requirments

The posting itself describes a software engineering intern position. The intern will work on the initial product conception to the final version of the app. He/she is required to implement design modifications, develop proper test codes, write scripts, and utilize interfaces. In addition to the coding, he/she will write protocols, documentation for the application, debug, and conduct a performance analysis. There are stipulations for the position including: being actively enrolled in a computer science degree as well as possessing a minimum 3.0 overall GPA. 

Useful Information Gathered

The job posting seems relatively laid back. They do not specify which programming language they will be writing in, nor the framework they are working in. They seem to be recruiting individuals who are simply excited to work and are driven to finish projects. There is relatively minimal historical information regarding their accomplishments; seeing that they are a new company in the area. Therefore I am not able to question previous students who have been hired or refer to accomplishments I should strive for.

With the information above I will construct a cover letter and resume that is tailored around portraying a strong inner drive and work ethic. The company places a large emphasis on these traits and so will I. In addition to that, I will also outline how I meet the qualifications of being enrolled in a Computer Science degree and 3.0 GPA requirement. For my actual resume I will outline previous jobs and the responsibilities I had in those positions, since they place a small emphasis on the coding experience itself. My prior experience will show that I am able to manage my time effectively and work in a group atmosphere. Also simply presenting myself in a professional manner through my writing is beneficial.